Our well-travelled travel consultant Bob Mortimore recently visited the Caribbean islands of St Lucia and Mustique courtesy of Elegant Resorts. During his trip, he visited a series of beautiful luxury hotels including Cotton House, Mustique. This was his second visit to Mustique and he absolutely loved it, describing it as “one of the most magical places on earth!” Here are his travel notes from his visit. This is the first of series of blog posts which detail Bob’s trip around the two islands.
About the Cotton House, Mustique
A 30 minute flight from St Lucia or 45 minutes flying time from Barbados will bring you to the remote and exclusive island of Mustique. Part of St Vincent and the Grenadine Islands, Mustique is a secluded private paradise covering just under two square miles. The island is home to an extensive collection of beautiful rented villas and the island’s only serviced hotel, the elegant and sophisticated Cotton House.
Originally an 18th century stone and coral warehouse set on a plantation, Cotton House has been transformed into a truly contemporary holiday sanctuary. Tasteful decor, an air of informality and excellent accommodation, food and service make it a wonderful place to visit. Nestling on 13 acres of beautiful tropical landscape, Cotton House is flanked by the Caribbean Sea to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
This exclusive hotel is a private estate, with a luxury portfolio of 17 luxurious guest rooms, cottages and suites in a setting near Endeavour Bay. Here’s a little more about the beautiful accommodation on offer:
- Typically colonial in style, the Garden Cottages each sleep two; The bedrooms feature king-size beds with elegant muslin drapes, a dressing room and en suite bathrooms with showers. Each room opens onto a large veranda which is furnished with lounge chairs and dining furniture
- The Seaview rooms have one double bedroom enjoying stunning views of the Caribbean sea and neighbouring islands. They feature separate elevated bath tubs, out-door showers with sunset views and extensive elegantly furnished balconys, for relaxing and private dining. Deluxe Seaview rooms offer similar facilities along with a plunge pool
- Superior Suites are first floor one bedroom suites, either with garden or Atlantic view; they have a master bedroom, a bathroom with a walk in shower and bathtub and a lounge with a sofa bed that could sleep two children. This makes them ideal for families. Each have a private veranda with a dining table and sun loungers.
- Deluxe rooms are elegantly presented and enjoy stunning Caribbean Sea views. Each have good sized bathrooms and french doors leading onto an elegantly furnished veranda with pool deck and private plunge pool.
- Deluxe Suites are ground floor one-bedroom suites, each with a bathroom with walk in shower, a garden or Atlantic view and a separate living room with sofa bed for children if required. All have private verandas with dining table, sun loungers, pool deck and private plunge pool and bathtub.
- The Duplex Suites are two story, located on the landscaped hillside with lovely views of the gardens and the sea. The upper floor features a master bedroom and bathroom and a large private balcony which is perfect for in-room dining or private spa treatment. The living room is on the lower floor and has a sofa bed which allows it to be used as a second bedroom if required. This is also another bathroom. Outside is an elegantly furnished terrace with a private plunge pool and private pool deck.
- Tucked away on its own hilltop is The Residence, the much sought after presidential suite boasting its own swimming pool and personal butler & maid service, a sanctuary for those seeking complete privacy. It offers two spacious en suite bedrooms, with separate shower and bathrooms, and a generous sitting and dining room with outdoor gazebo, set around a large private swimming pool. The master bedroom is set apart in a small pavilion, boasts an outdoor shower with commanding views across the Atlantic. As with all the accommodation at the Cotton House, The Residence is a lovely property, lavishly and luxuriously designed.
All rates at Cotton House include daily continental breakfast, an alcoholic or non-alcoholic welcome arrival drink, Mustique Airport return transfers, a full unpacking and pressing service on arrival, a weekly Island cocktail party, Wi Fi, DVD, a book and board game library and snorkelling gear. All rooms have tea and coffee making facilities together with a safe.
Dining at the Cotton House is a sheer delight. The hotel offers the freshest flavours from the best Caribbean ingredients along with delicacies imported from all over the world.
Dining, although informal, has an air of elegance and gentility. The Veranda Restaurant is a large balcony wrapped around the Great Room; enjoy breakfast here in the open air. In the evening, it changes for dinner into a lovely setting of small intimate tables or settings for larger parties. Guests can choose from a superb and extensive a la carte menu that includes fresh fish, seafood and excellent meats; there is also an extensive, awarding winning wine list. A light menu and drinks are also served at The Tree Garden Lounge.
The social hub of the hotel is The Great Room Bar which has been designed in an exquisitely colonial style by Oliver Messel. Guests can choose from an extensive cocktail menu, plus a great collection of local rums. The Great Room Bar is a popular meeting place for pre and after dinner drinks and a traditional weekly cocktail party is held here each week for hotel and villa guests.
Guests can opt for in room dining and private dinners can be arranged at several locations of the resort. Guests can also ask for picnic hampers to be taken on any of the island’s nine beaches.
The Beach Bar, situated on Endeavour Bay, offers a range of freshly prepared juices, smoothies, fine cocktails, drinks and rum punches. Being by the beach, it offers a full beverage service to those on the beach as well as little extras, such as sorbets, chilled towels and cold water. The nearby al fresco Beach Café has a relaxed atmosphere by the water’s edge under the shade of palm trees. Light dishes, fresh fish and a children’s menu, along with salads, baguettes, pizzas and grilled foods make up the delicious lunch menu. Treats include freshly made sorbets and ice cream.
For some time out, visit the Cotton House Spa. With four treatment rooms and a relaxation room, with stunning views, it offers an award winning organic spa range of treatments utilising the very best in creams and oils. The spa can also provide the treatments in the privacy of your own accommodation.
Those who enjoy keeping fit can make good use of the hotel gym which is fully equipped with treadmill, stationary bikes and weights and the swimming pool and the Mustique Tennis Club. Guests can also participate in an extensive range of water-sports are on offer at the water-sports centre on Endeavour Bay.
Getting around Mustique is easy using one of many golf carts (mules) in service and you can explore Mustique, its stunning beaches and tropical scenery in your own time.
In addition to having a wonderful hotel, there is an extensive collection of absolutely unique and beautiful Villas that can be rented out. Each villa has a dedicated staff of a Chef, Housekeeper and Gardener; larger Villas have additional staff. Daily housekeeping, laundry service is provided as well as a nightly turn down service. All villas are beautifully furnished and decorated. Ask us for for more information.
Cotton House is a unique travel experience providing a magical haven of luxury in one of the most beautiful locations of the world. It delivers an exceptional choice of accommodation and cuisine within the setting of a peaceful, tropical sanctuary. A purely magical place for both children and adults alike, a visit to Mustique makes for unforgettable memories.
For more information about a Caribbean holiday at Cotton House, Mustique, contact Ultimate Destinations on 01923 284148. We’ll be delighted to be of service.
During his Caribbean trip, Bob also visited Cap Maison, East Winds, Jade Mountain, Sugar Beach, The Landings and The BodyHoliday, all on St Lucia. Bob travelled on this travel educational trip to St Lucia and Mustique with Elegant Resorts. Absolutely superb in every way, the hotels and fine hospitality he experienced were excellent. Bob would like to thank Jo Fenton, Sales Manager at Elegant Resorts for arranging such a fantastic trip along with Tim Maloney, Chris Holt, Vicky Arrowsmith and Debra Masters also from Elegant Resorts. He travelled to and from St Lucia with British Airways who operate an excellent service to this part of the world and with SVG Charters to and from Mustique. And a big thank you to all the hotel hosts and to Bob’s fellow travel colleagues who all made this trip a wonderful, unforgettable experience.